Friday, February 27, 2009

A Dance unto happiness!

Yesterday was an eventful day...! It was "Entreunos", our college non resident women culturals and I was participating in solo dance and solo singing competetions. I was excited to the peak as I was performing after a long time and I could almost see my nerve ends split with excitement! I was so energetic the whole day thinking about the evening and was jumping around the college. My friends came to me asking,"Are u dancing this evening buddy?" And I was wonderstruck at their guess but I realised I was extraordinarily active and that was behind their guessing! I gleamed in joy and revised the steps mentally each and every second. Last year I had won the first prize for solo dance. I had performed a classical number and this time I was looking fwd to performing something different, a fusion of both western and classical for the instrumental pieces from Slumdog Millionaire! ( not again na!) lols! I had practised like crazy and I had a special zorro's eye mask ordered for the first half of the dance. My theme was " A return to originality"! On the evening before yesterday's, I had realised that my make up kit was near empty and I went shopping. Oh man! The pride of getting your things with your own money. . .nothing like that! But I made sure I did not float in the pride as I was crossing my fingers and praying that everything should go well the next day! The day dawned and I had danced till about 12:30 on the previous night (Ya. . I know what u r thinking! That's me and my love for dancing for u guys!) Like. . I could not get up that morning lol . . but I woke up at the crack of dawn( which I never do) and was still dancing away to glory! I am sure my parents and my neighbours would have thought that something had gone wrong with me cos I was constantly playing the same track again and again. I got dressed for the dance with the help of my friend Tinku. Tinku I love you ! U were such a sweetheart! But has anything happened in my life without getting the freakin hell outta me?!! Ya that's where the whole adventure began! I wanted to check if my audio cd was playing well on the college audio system ( I always do that and make sure things are perfectly fine befor my performances). The cd slipped in silently and I was waiting for my friends who were with me to scream in excitement when they hear the track! I wanted it to be a surprise and so had not told them the name of the track when they had asked me! For the first few mins there was no sound.."Taking time to load" I thought aloud. . .The next minute passed and still there was no sound. . .I told the guy who was in charge of the music system to take the cd out and put it in again. I could see he was getting imapatient. I was fully decked and I could feel my heart in my throat! I prayed to all the lords in the world so that some sound came out of my cd. . .Still silence. . . heart breaking silence . .I found that silence could mean dreadful, nerve wreckin, and. . .My friends looked at me helplessly and I was still looking at the audio system wondering why my cd did not produce any sound like how it did all those days when I practised with it. "Chill. . If the cd does not work I won't dance, that's all guys. It's not like I am never gonna get chances in life anymore" I said coolly trying to keep myself calm and steady. . My friends held me and I said I was ok. When all their attention was on me and all my attention was on god the first few magical beats of the maestro's music came out of the audio system! We were startled for a moment! I did not hear anymore of Rahman's music cos we were screaming our lungs out! My cd was just fine! The next thing I did was thank god almighty for restoring my dreams to me! And then things went on smoothly..My turn to dance..I danced...I enjoyed every bit of the time on stage, used the stage to my heart's content, sweated my body out to entertain the audience and finally it was over. I was so satisfied, contented and happy. My freinds left. I went to change and then the others danced. I was among the audience and had great fun cheering the other dancers. The whole auditorium was echoing my happiness! Finally the results came and when my name was announced for the first prize I was the only one screaming for myself! Pride. . . The joy of winning . . .The pride of cheering for myself. . Nothing like that! Hard work pays! The next minute I was surrounded by many who came to congratulate me! I floated in the magical moments finally! Chow!

1 comment:

vino said...

wow!it must really have been exciting, the preparation,recollection of the past- your last performance,the wait keeping your heart in your hands and the performance itself and waiting for your name to be announced as the winner... its all really exciting... i am really happy for you da.... i am sure you will win many accolades... you are a blessed one as for as your artistic excellence is concerned... my best wishes to you in your future endeavours...